These crunchy fudge sandwiches are a fun dessert adults and kids alike will love. Great for holidays or parties, these peanut butter and butterscotch rice krispies are layered with a rich chocolatey center.
It’s a Family Tradition
In our family, the dessert table isn’t complete during any holiday gathering without crunchy fudge sandwiches. As a child I remember making these quick, easy treats with my mother and eating them once we got to my grandmother’s. You were lucky if you went back for seconds and found any left.
The 7 Simple Ingredients to Make This Easy Crunchy Fudge Sandwiches Recipe
Here’s a quick list of what you’ll need from the cupboard. A full printable recipe card is available at the bottom of the post.
- butterscotch morsels
- creamy peanut butter
- semisweet chocolate chips
- powdered sugar
- Rice Krispies cereal
If you want to make this recipe gluten free for you or someone you love, be sure to get rice krispies that do not contain malt or malt flour. I’ve found the Great Value brand is one such crisp rice cereal. Last I checked, Kellogg’s® rice krispies are not gluten-free.
How to Make Crunchy Fudge Sandwiches
First, we’ll start with coating the rice krispies with peanut butter and butterscotch. You can do this one of two ways:
- In a large mixing bowl, melt butterscotch morsels and peanut butter together in the microwave. Stirring intermittently. I normally do about 30 seconds at a time or use the Melt feature on my microwave.
- Melt the butterscotch morsels and peanut butter together in a medium-size, heavy saucepan over very low heat, stirring often to avoid burning or sticking.
Once melted, (remove from heat and) pour in the rice krispies cereal. Stir into the butterscotch mixture until well coated.
Next, lightly butter/grease an 8 x 8 x 2-inch pan and press half of cereal mixture into it.
Press the coated rice krispies into the pan all the way to the edges. The tighter they’re compressed the more easily the sandwiches will stay together. I’ve learned tapping them into place with the back of my metal mixing spoon does the trick pretty well.
Place the dish into the refrigerator to chill while mixing up the inner layer of yummy chocolate.
Now for the Chocolate Center
The chocolate layer can also be melted on the stove top or in the microwave. If you choose the microwave, use a small microwave-safe bowl and combine chocolate morsels, powdered sugar, butter, and water.
(If you choose the stove top, use a small sauce pan over very low heat or a double boiler to melt together the remaining ingredients until smooth and creamy, stirring often.)
Heat and stir until the chocolate melts and is well combined. The mixture needs to be warm and thin enough to pour. If heating doesn’t get it to the desired consistency, add one more tablespoon of water.
Complete Your Layers
Next, remove the square pan from the fridge and pour the fudge mixture over the coated rice krispies. Smooth all the way to the edges with the back of your spoon, butter knife, or spatula.
Top the chocolate fudge layer with the remaining rice krispies and press gently or tap into place with the back of your spoon.
Chill for easy cutting.
Serve Up These Awesome Crunchy Fudge Sandwiches
We normally cut the dessert into about 16 squares, more if we want smaller pieces.
These serve up best at room temperature or slightly chilled.
Store any remaining crunchy fudge sandwiches in an airtight container or cover your pan in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator. They’ll last at least a week or more in the fridge if you don’t eat them all before then.
Need More Finger Food Ideas for Your Next Party?
Check out our family’s delectable sausage balls recipe.
I hope you enjoy this yummy treat. If you do, please be sure to leave a comment, and let us know how you like them and who you chose to share them with (if you shared 😉 ). Happy Trails.
Crunchy Fudge Sandwiches
Great for holidays or parties, crunchy fudge sandwiches layer peanut butter and butterscotch rice krispies with a rich chocolatey center.
- 1 cup butterscotch morsels
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate morsels
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp water
- 4 cups rice krispies
- In a large bowl (or heavy saucepan), add the peanut butter and butterscotch morsels.
- Heat in microwave (or on stove with very low heat) until morsels are melted. Stir often until blended together.
- Stir in rice krispies. Mix until all of the rice cereal is coated.
- Put half of the coated rice krispies into a lightly greased 8x8 pan, pressing it firmly into the dish all the way to the edges.
- Refrigerate the dish while mixing chocolate filling.
- Place the remaining ingredients in a small mixing bowl (or saucepan), melt, and blend together.
- Remove dish from fridge and top with the chocolate mixture all the way to the edges.
- Cover with remaining rice krispie mixture, pressing/tapping firmly into place.
- Refrigerate for easy cutting.
- If warm/hot chocolate mixture is too thick for spreading, add an extra tbsp of water.
- Make this treat gluten free by using rice krispies cereal that does not contain malt flour.
Sunday 12th of March 2023
Cool. I spent a long time looking for relevant content and found that your article gave me new ideas, which is very helpful for my research. I think my thesis can be completed more smoothly. Thank you.